Thursday, August 26, 2010

Love Thursday: Redeeming

Hi, my name is Felicia, and I'm a crazy coupon lady.

(Hi, Felicia)

In my never ending quest for the best deal on everything, I see this word frequently: Redeem. Redeem at face value. Redeem one per purchase. Redeem for $1.00 off any 3 boxes of General Mills cereal. So I redeem, redeem and redeem and I do so much redeeming that the word itself has begun to lose some of its shine. Some of its depth. Some of its je ne sais quoi. The other day while I was driving, I started to think about what redeeming means to me, when it comes to my walk with God. So when I got home I did what any modern girl would do, and Googled it. This is what Merriam-Webster has to say about what "redeem" means:
It was all the normal stuff I thought of when I thought of that word. "You are bought with a price" blah blah blah. Until I got to definition number 6, part b, section 2. "To make worthwhile."
I am not only bought, paid for, freed, changed and released. I have also been made worthwhile. Which would indicate that prior to my redemption, I wasn't worthwhile but God chose to redeem me anyways. He made me worthwhile, because of his grace, by the power of my faith and nothing else. To me, that is the single most powerful and amazing transaction to have ever taken place. He made me worthwhile. He offsets everything bad in me. That's awesome. That blows my mind. I love it so much.

No comments: