Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kropsua - Finnish Oven Pancake

Growing up, this was one of my favorite weekend breakfasts that my mom made. I recently started making it for my own family, and it's just as heavenly!

Apologies in advance to my gluten-free friends. If you ever decide to go on a gluteny goodness bender, let me know. I will make this for you. It will hurt so good!

Oven: 385

4 eggs
2 c milk
1/2 t salt
1 T sugar
1/2 vanilla
3/4 c butter
1 1/3 c flour

Set oven to 385, then place a 12x18 baking pan (with at least 1" sides) in the oven. Slice 1/2 c butter onto pan, leave in oven to melt while you mix the ingredients together.

Beat eggs, then slowly add milk, salt, sugar (I use demerara sugar, which gives a lovely rich taste and adds a little crunch to the top of the pancake) and vanilla. Slowly add in flour in 1/3 c increments, blending while you add. Lastly, melt the remaining 1/4 c butter and add into mixture while beating. Pour mixture into heated pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cut into squares and serve hot with a drizzle of maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream. Yum!

No comments: