Thursday, December 25, 2008

Others

It was another great night at the shelter tonight. I learned something about myself this evening: it's only when I humble myself and serve those who have nothing that I truly become great. I do a lot of things in my daily life, but the times when I really feel I'm shining is when I'm doing something to help someone else. Ironic, huh? I have to become nothing in order to really be something.

This train of thought brought to mind the following poem, which I scrawled into the back pages of my Bible when I was about 16...

"Others"
Lord, help me live from day to day
In such a self-forgetful way,
That even when I kneel to pray,
My prayer shall be for Others

Help me in all the work I do
To ever be sincere and true,
And know, that all I do for You
Must needs be done for Others

Let "Self" be crucified and slain,
And buried deep and all in vain,
May efforts be to rise again,
Unless to live for Others

And when my work on earth is done,
And my new work in Heaven's begun,
May I forget the crown I've won,
While thinking still of Others

Others Lord, yes, Others
Let this motto be,
Help me live for others
That I may live for Thee.

I didn't eat dinner tonight (was too busy) but my heart is happy and full and satisfied with this feeling of wholeness and light that only comes on shelter night. I'm so thankful for the opportunity God has given me to serve those in my community who are struggling. I'm so blessed to be able to put shoes on Jesus' love and take it to people who don't have a place to call home. What a beautiful way to celebrate the birth of Christ, who offers abundant life to all who call on Him.

No comments: